To come up with a solution of expanding Intco Green Framing's overseas B2B market by crafting the company's service to their overseas B-end users through an online shopping website with elegant visuals and easy-to-use functions.
Yumei Jin, Yidan Xie, Dee, Ze Yu, Sissi Chen, Cissy, Chiu-yi Wu
User research, user interview, problem identifying, design ideation
Research and Design Process
INTCO is a mainland China based Styrofoam Recycling Specialist providing an ultimate solution to EPS recycling and polystyrene recycling. INTCO manufactures and sells GREENMAX EPS Compactors/Densifiers and Recycling machines/System, purchases back compressed EPS scraps, and reuses them to make frame products.
In 2012, INTCO recycled 50,000 tons of waste EPS, which helped save 4,000,000 trees and reduce 100,000 tons of carbon emission. INTCO has become one of the biggest waste EPS end-user and recycler in the world.
INTCO’s overseas department reached out to our team with a desire of establishing an online shopping website to help them expand their overseas B2B market. The site is mainly aimed at the B End users who need to purchase in bulk. Moreover, INTCO wants to take advantage of the new website to publicize the corporate image, introduce the product features, and help customers establish good brand recognition.
DEfining the problem
Because of the lack of understanding of overseas market and the overseas B2B procurement process, INTCO’s website has a lot of room for improvement in functions, layout, and visual design. Our team analyzed the current website and found some general problems:
- The lack of content results in the lack of clarity of the core function. The current shopping website does not leave customers an impression that it can provide online selection, ordering and purchasing.
- The left translucent classification window in the product list partially blocks the product images, which results in an unpleasant browsing experience to users.
- The site lacks a main page highlighting its categories with various buying options. So far users can only access the product list by clicking on the various subcategories, which is easily to be visually neglectable.
- Some important functions such as “join orders” give access only to registered members, which potentially violates the habits of the overseas B2B purchasing. A solution is needed to obey the overseas B2B purchasing habit while ensure the security and authenticity of the user’s identity.
- The product picture lacks the finished product effect display. The current visual design of the website makes it difficult for the user to connect the final product effect with its material display — a piece of wood. This design deficiency significantly reduces customers’ desire of purchase.
To find a new design solution for INTCO’s overseas business aligning with the overseas B2B online purchasing user habits, our team interviewed 7 users with B2B purchasing experience. All of the 7 users provided valuable qualitative data regards experiences in purchasing products on behalf of the enterprises, organizations, and companies. We drew some key insights from the data of our user interview:
- An elegant and practical enterprise website that can help companies open the online sales channel effectively.
Online chat makes it easier for customers to communicate with the sales end. Contact Information should be listed and easy to find.
Advantages Comparison of Online purchasing vs. offline purchasing
Customers' most concerned with online purchasing: Time, Product, Service
Factors that enhancing the possibility of long term cooperation
By analyzing the data provided by our user research, we come up with some insights to incorporate into the design of the new website of Intco's Green Framing in terms of improving customers experience, attracting new customers, and increasing the possibility of long timer cooperation.
User Journey Map
Based on the insights drawn from the data of our user research, our team ideated a user journey map to guide us in developing a better design solution as well as improving the user experience of online purchase.